Mini Practice Update

Laschout.com has received a few tidbits from recent practices....
  • Stephfon Green has received consistent praise.  On one play during last weekend's scrimmage, Green took a screen pass and raced about 80 yards for a TD.  The play was good on its face but what makes Green's TD even more impressive was the fact the he outran Justin King for the TD.  (Yes, we found that hard to believe as well.)  Green has been consistently praised for his performance thus far and has been called "one of the better freshman backs we've seen in a while."  Strong praise indeed.
  • Anthony Morelli has been up and down in practice so far.  On certain days Morelli looks great, on others he seems to regress.
  • The offensive line has been inconsistent as well.  The starting OL appears to be LT: Cadogan LG: Richie O C: AQ RG: Shaw and RT: Landolt.  Big Lou Eliades has been pushing Richie O for the starting spot at LG.
  • Abe Koroma has had a solid start as has his fellow defensive line mate Mo Evans.  Evans most likely will be PSU's best pass rusher and has received consistent praise for his ability to get to the QB.
  • The enigma that is Chris Bell seems to have emerged again.  Called "the most talented WR on the roster" Bell needs to begin to practice more consistently to gain more playing time.
Tomorrow, Laschout.com will post the projected 2-deep depth chart gathered from various sources.

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this entry.
Comments
Page: 1 of 1
  • 8/14/2007 7:40 PM a78 wrote:
    Nice to see that Greens praise has been from across the board. Hopefully he can really excel here and surprise most of us.

AM and the OL being inconsistant worry me, but i cant help but expect that at this stage. Hopefully with more reps comes a better feel for everything for all 6 of them. AM needs to be on his game this year in order for us to have a great year
  • 8/14/2007 7:51 PM Trey wrote:
    I think Green was a big under the radar get. Any chance someone like Lattimore supplants Gaines? I really don't think much of him. Great kid, but not much of a player.
  • 8/14/2007 9:04 PM speedomike02 wrote:
    Don't like reading that about Morelli and the O-Line. Definitely my biggest concerns about this season. Not good news about Bell either. Argh why can't it just be easy?
  • 8/14/2007 10:18 PM nw wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I'm most disappointed in the reports on Amo and Bell (I can handle the line still needing time to gel).

When you guys pull together the 2-deep, can you include the situational and return guys, like the nickel back and the punt/kick return guys ?

Gotta think the kick return guys will be more important this year with the move the the 30. Can't think of a better guy back there than Wallace....
  • 8/14/2007 10:48 PM reigle9 wrote:
    Do you guys know where to get any video on Green?
    1. 8/15/2007 8:24 AM fp wrote:
      reigle,

We haven't seen any video of Green but for a few clips on Mike Quick's high schol hi-lite show.

With that said, I'm probably one of the few players that have seen Green play live. Admittedly, I didn't think he could play RB at PSU. He seemed to be a one-move RB with straight ahead speed that lacked wiggle. Perhaps he has improved. We'll see.

Something tells me he relies on his speed an awful lot. I think it remains to be seen if he can run the ball up the middle for a tough 2-3 yards.
      1. 8/15/2007 7:40 PM Lrja26 wrote:
        Maybe so FP, but there are alot of highly successfuly college backs who don't run up the middle for the tough 2-3 yards. The staff needs to use him in situations that exploits his talents.
  • 8/15/2007 6:24 AM psusnoop wrote:
    This doesn't really bother me really (AM and Line struggles), they are 1 week in and it's better to struggle early then later.

Still the OL is the biggest concern with AM's consistancy coming in a close second for me.
  • 8/15/2007 7:33 AM Warner25 wrote:
    FP, coming out of spring practice we all knew that Morelli was going to start and that Clark and Devlin were battling it out for the 2nd spot. There apparently was a huge drop off, though, between Morelli and the number 2 qb. Has that gap closed any? I know Morelli is going to be the starter, I'm just wondering how much progress Clark and Devlin have made. Thanks
    1. 8/15/2007 8:19 AM fp wrote:
      Warner,

It appears that Daryll Clark is the 2nd team QB with Devlin and Cianciolo 3rd and 4th team respectively. In another bit of bad news (depending on how you look at it) Devlin has a 'ways to go' before he will catch Clark as the back-up.

As for the gap closing between 1st team and 2nd team QBs, I believe the coaches would feel pretty confident that they could win games with Clark as their starting QB.
      1. 8/15/2007 8:26 AM 17 wrote:
        FP, is correct in regards to Devlin. I've been told to this point, he hasn't quite lived up to the hype. This makes landing a big time QB in this class even more essential.
      2. 8/15/2007 10:13 PM milehipsu wrote:
        the simple fact that Devlin is battling for 3rd qb, not second, it's clear he's not lived up to expectations. This is bad news for next season, or if Morelli goes down. Clark is not the answer at QB, that is for sure.
        1. 8/15/2007 11:31 PM conservativejoe wrote:
          I would not throw Devlin out quite yet. He is just a red shirt freshmen. Who has only played scout team up to this year. If AM goes down for any length of time I still expect Devlin to be the solution.

And as far as picking up a QB this year. Of course we should. Not because of Devlin but we should try and bring in 1 QB every year. Especially when we have a shot at 2 of the Top 5 guys in the country.
  • 8/15/2007 10:02 AM nw wrote:
    I really don't get the obsession with Clark (not from you guys, but from the fans and apparently the coaches). When I've seen him play, I've seen a big kid who seems to have control of the team, but also has an inaccurate arm and isn't the runner/scrambler he'd need to be given hims arm (ie, he's no Mrob).

Just mho and based on seeing him a handful of times, none in person. I'm sure I'm probably wrong on this.

In any case, I sure hope this is a case of the staff wanting to reward the upperclassmen and not a statement on Devlin's development.
    1. 8/15/2007 10:11 AM 17 wrote:
      IMHO, if Morelli goes down, this squad is in for a world of hurt.
      1. 8/15/2007 12:19 PM telly wrote:
        If I'm reading the proverbial tea-leaves correctly here (and the practive report that came out on FOS this morning) in regards to the offense, Penn State is absolutely, positively, wafer thin at several key positions. Staying healthy at RB, OT, and QB are major, major concerns.

An injury at any of those positions and the fragile system breaks down. Forn instance, Scott gets hurt, won't be able to run, play action screwed. Cadogan gets hurt, won't be able to pass block (might not be able to pass block *WITH* Cadogan for all I know.) Can't pass block, can't keep Morelli healthy. No Morelli, no passes to the unquestionably talented WRs.
        1. 8/15/2007 7:43 PM Lrja26 wrote:
          Every team not named USC has the same concerns about suffering injuries at positions of concern. Michigan is water thin at QB, will have major problems at WR if something were to happen to Manningham and similar problems if Long misses significant time.

The fragile system exists for pretty much every team these days with the combination of the 85 man scholarship limit and the constraints on the hours of practice time per week.
  • 8/15/2007 4:23 PM blah wrote:
    Good to hear that Green is doing some good things, its obvious he has amazing speed. I question whether or not he will be able to run it up inside as well, but feel that he is a very tough kid. If he ends up on the AJ/JK 1 year offense/rest D I wouldn't be at all upset - he could make a killer CB.

In the meantime though, if he is set at RB for at least this year it would be nice to see him on some screens, tosses with a g/t pulling, and in the slot with Golden outside of him for quick flare outs. It will be interesting to see how things work out because we have Kinlaw back, but at the least if Green doesn't RS I really want to see Kinlaw splitting his time with Green on KR if Kinlaw runs like he did last year.
  • 8/15/2007 6:03 PM Naples wrote:
    FP and 17...your take on Devlin is sure different than that of Koko and Marsh. Koko says that most of the D feel that Devlin should be getting second team reps.
    1. 8/15/2007 9:11 PM 17 wrote:
      Naples.. I'm not sure where their info is coming from, but I know where I heard it from and I'll trust that source over anyone.
      1. 8/16/2007 5:04 AM Naples wrote:
        17...If you can, what specifically are Devlin's detractors concerned about? Is it physical, or mental?
        1. 8/16/2007 7:38 AM koko wrote:
          When I said Devlin should be getting the #2 reps, it's based on his potential and what he did against the first team defense as a scout QB not to mention the fact that he's VERY heady. However, he's just getting a chance to really learn the playbook. He's a year behind DC and doesn't have anywhere near DC's "presence". He should start out as the #3 guy right now if the regular season started on Saturday. Right now, it's about presence. As for 17's hype comment, I really do not know what to say. The info that I get from practice comes from a certain type of perspective. His probably comes from another.
          1. 8/16/2007 8:18 AM 17 wrote:
            Koko...we both know there are different opinions that come out of the PSU camp As you said, I'm sure we are hearing different views on Devlin. I think both sides would say they would like to see Pat further ahead of where he is right now, but certainly haven't given up on him in any respect. There is a long way to go and good things can happen for Pat. It just all has to come together for him.
        2. 8/16/2007 8:13 AM 17 wrote:
          From what I'm told they are disappointed with his progression in both aspects to this point. By no means have they given up on Pat, I just think they expected him to be further ahead of where he is right now.

Obviously when you recruit a kid with all the hype and offers you expect him to come in an be as advertised. Pat certainly has potential, but to this point has done nothing to break away from Clark or any of the other QB's for that matter.
          1. 8/16/2007 12:39 PM Naples wrote:
            Thanks for the reply, 17 and Koko. I think this could make a good debate, but I won't try to squeeze anything further out of you.
  • 8/15/2007 7:39 PM WhalePants wrote:
    Wow, this is a really cool site. Great work fp and 17!!! Keep it up!!
    1. 8/15/2007 9:13 PM 17 wrote:
      Thanks Whale. FP and I are just a small part of this site. We were asked to help out and we're glad to do it. I suspect people will be seeing some other very familiar names make an appearance soon.
      1. 8/16/2007 4:01 AM Vick wrote:
        FP, 17,

I second Whale's statement. This is quite a neat site. I love the format and layout- simple, very very user-friendly and readable. The info isnt bad either

Regarding the QB situation, unfortunately I dont think we're going to see too much till next year. It will be cool if the back-up QBs get some playing time in the cupcake games, but when was the last time that happened at Penn State? We rarely are involved in blow-outs. I do remember morelli coming in a game or 2 during the 2005 run, but he was just limited to hand-offs. And we all thought that the coaching staff was "hiding" his throwing talent for the 2006 season
      2. 8/16/2007 8:56 AM sporty wrote:
        Bookmarked!

good stuff greeny, 17, fp, and even stern.
  • 8/17/2007 7:44 AM daveM. wrote:
    Great site!
    I know this sounds like old, but I know someone close to the program that says that Clark is "really good". Haven't heard anything about Devlin from him though. Doesn't mean that Pat isn't doing well.
  • 8/21/2007 8:26 PM AIW-HS wrote: